Full citation: Murnane, E.L., Jiang, X., Kong, A., Park, M., Shi, W., Soohoo, C., Vink, L., Xia, I., Xin, Y., Yang-Sammataro, J., Young, G., Zhi, J., Moya, P., Landay, J.A. (2020).
Designing Ambient Narrative-Based Interfaces to Reflect and Motivate Physical Activity. In Proceedings of the 2020 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI'20). (pp. 1-14). ACM.
[Paper PDF] [ACM DL]
- Complete narrative: PDF — contains opening backstory screens, 13 chapters, and conclusion; last updated May 2018 (version used in 3 week field trial reported on in the paper)
- Lockscreen, homescreen, and in-app screenshots illustrating a field study participant's progression through a chapter (click to enlarge)
- Goal setting and activity logging screenshots (click to enlarge)
- While the narrative's visuals are glanceable on the lock and home screens, the text is delivered through notifications and can be read within the app (click to enlarge)
- A sampling of design artifacts (click to enlarge)